Views, opinions and thoughts of residents of Spiti

Views, Opinions and Thoughts of the Friends of Spiti

Lahaul-Spiti District, Himachal Pradesh, India



Tuesday, July 3, 2012


 A STORY ABOUT LARA          

My name is Nawang Chhodon and I am from Lara. I am writing a story about my village that I was told as a child. This is a very old story. 


In olden days Lara used to be a big  village. Above the village there was a lake. One year the people of Lara failed to do the puja in Komik Tanggyut Gompa. And, they also did not return items belonging to the monastery. Soon after the lake suddenly burst and all the houses in Lara were washed away except one. People now call that house “Takto” which means “like a rock”.


Takto house in Lara.


Teacher Tanzin Dawa exploring Takto house.

In olden days Lara had 100 houses. At that time it was called “Lara Gyatong” (Gya=100). Now Lara has 14 houses. I do not know whether the story is true, but this is what I was told.


A view of Lara from Takto House.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice story, Nawang. Juley and thank you for sharing this story. I hope you and others will write some personal and other stories in the future. Looking forward to reading more. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete